MEMO: Democrats Growing The Economy, But GOP Extremism Threatens Progress And Reproductive Freedoms
July 31, 2023
TO: Interested Parties
FROM: House Majority PAC
DATE: July 31, 2023
RE: Democrats Growing The Economy, But GOP Extremism Threatens Progress And Reproductive Freedoms
In January 2021 President Joe Biden and Congressional Democrats inherited a deeply damaged economy, and immediately went to work. The result? A growing middle class, record job growth, lower costs, and for the first time in 3 years – income is growing faster than inflation.
Leading up to Election Day 2024, it is imperative for Democrats to tout their accomplishments on a local and national level. Economic contrast research projects conducted by HMP have shown repeatedly that Democrats dramatically improved their position when they went on offense to talk about the economy. Go on offense, and build the contrast with the MAGA House Republicans immediately.
Democrats Are Growing The Economy And Middle Class
TOPLINE: Bidenomics and economic policies championed by House Democrats are growing the middle class, strengthening our economy, lowering costs, and boosting domestic manufacturing.
- CHIPS: President Biden and Congressional Democrats passed the historic CHIPS and Science Act, which is boosting domestic manufacturing, creating thousands of new jobs, taking on China, and tackling inflation by bringing supply chains back home.
- This is an incredibly popular piece of legislation across the political spectrum and Democrats win when we talk about the CHIPS and Science Act.
- Inflation Reduction Act: President Biden and Democrats passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which over the last year has worked to combat inflation, keep costs under control, protect affordable health care, address climate change, and fight for American families.
- Infrastructure: The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is a historic investment in American infrastructure, and it is already delivering in congressional districts across the country.
- Apprenticeships: Democrats have created more apprenticeship programs for workers to learn new skills and trades, which will strengthen the American workforce and boost middle class growth.
- Lowering Costs: President Biden and Democrats lowered the costs of prescription drugs and health care through the Inflation Reduction Act, placing a $35 cap on insulin.
- Record Jobs Numbers: Month after month we’ve seen that Bidenomics is working. The United States has seen record job growth, with more than 13 million jobs added, including hundreds and thousands of manufacturing, clean energy, and good paying union jobs that are growing the American middle class.
House Republican Extremism Is Pushing America Towards Disaster
TOPLINE: Under the leadership of Kevin McCarthy, extremist House Republicans have held the American economy hostage and have repeatedly threatened economic progress while supporting an extreme MAGA agenda that would ban abortion nationwide.
- Default: As part of their Default On America Act, House Republicans voted to hold our economy hostage, cut veterans benefits by 22%, fire 108,000 teachers and aides, defund law enforcement positions, kill 800,000 jobs, and eliminate health care for 21 million Americans.
- HMP has identified this as a key piece of legislation that will endanger many vulnerable House Republicans next year.
- Abortion: If House Republicans get their way, they will implement a nationwide abortion ban – restricting American freedoms and ripping rights away from millions of women.
- In January, two of the first votes House Republicans took were in favor of placing nationwide restrictions on abortion and reproductive rights. Every single vulnerable Republican voted in favor of these devastating policies.
- House Republicans are currently putting our nation’s defense and the safety of the American people at risk, all so they can pass an extremist wishlist which includes a radical anti-abortion amendment.
- Vulnerable Republicans like Rep. Brandon Williams are co-sponsoring H.R. 7, which would outlaw abortion care for millions covered by the Affordable Care Act.
- Public Safety: House Republicans across the country have made it loud and clear that if they get their way, they will endanger public safety by defunding the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, laying off 28,000 agents at minimum.
- Government Shutdown: House Republicans are threatening to shut down the government unless they are allowed to make extremist cuts to Social Security, American infrastructure, water funds, and even more programs that are needed to allow the middle class to grow.
- Polluters Over People: Earlier this year, House Republicans voted to increase prices at the gas pump, protect corporate profits, and put polluters over people.